Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Canon Digital Cameras and other Digital Camera topics.
If you already own Canon lenses, and you're in the market for a solid “advanced” dSLR – without the pro price, the Canon 20D is a model you should consider.
Although two years old - that's middle age in digital camera years - the EOS 20D remains one of the best performers in its class. It was heralded by reviewers on it's arrival, and was honored with a DIWA (Digital Imaging Websites Association) gold medal, and DIWA's 2004 Platinum Award.
Here are just a few of the features that earned the 20D rave reviews:
* 5 frames per second bursts for up to 23 frames (JPEG)
* Shoots true RAW files, as well as JPEG's
* Compatible with Canon's EF-S series digital lenses, as well as most other recent Canon lenses
* 1/8000 sec. top shutter speed and 1/250 sec. flash synch speed
* Up to 1,000 shots (flashless) per single charge of the lithium ion battery
* Optional battery grip increases service time
* New “Precision Matte” focusing screen makes manual focus more accurate
* Flash Exposure Lock feature
* Selectable auto-focus points
If you're thinking of moving up to a dSLR, price makes the EOS 20D an attractive buy. Though expensive, some reliable dealers carry offer hefty discounts – as much as $500 off.